Skip to main content
There is No Risk to see what we can do for you New Patient Special Offer

Chiropractic Treatment for Whiplash in Columbus OH

Whiplash is a prevalent injury often treated at chiropractic offices in Columbus, OH. It affects approximately one million people in the United States each year, typically resulting from car accidents, sports injuries, falls, or other traumatic events that cause sudden and forceful movements of the head. The symptoms of whiplash can be quite debilitating, encompassing neck or back pain, headaches, dizziness, stiffness, fatigue, memory loss, visual disturbances, and numbness in the arms or hands.

Common treatment options for whiplash, including pain medication, hot and cold therapy, generic exercise programs, or massage, can provide temporary relief from the symptoms but often fall short in addressing the underlying issues. Research suggests that 75% of individuals with whiplash will eventually recover, while the remaining 25% may experience long-term effects. Seeking the expertise of a chiropractor is crucial, as they can conduct a comprehensive evaluation and create a personalized treatment plan not only to alleviate pain but also to target the root cause of the discomfort.

At Mission Chiropractic and Wellness, our approach involves gentle chiropractic adjustments to relieve pain and tension associated with whiplash. We also focus on postural correction and strength-building exercises to prevent future injuries. Whiplash can affect various structures in the neck, such as joints, muscles, discs, and nerves, each causing different types of pain. It’s essential to consult with a chiropractor in Columbus for a thorough evaluation to determine the source of your pain and assess the extent of damage resulting from whiplash.


COMMON MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT WHIPLASH IN COLUMBUS, OH

Whiplash is a prevalent injury often resulting from car accidents, although it can also occur due to other neck traumas like sports injuries, falls, or sudden head jolts. Addressing whiplash pain early is crucial, as untreated whiplash can lead to long-term effects. Let’s debunk some common myths associated with whiplash:

Feeling fine with mild to no pain means I’m okay.

Immediate post-accident comfort doesn’t necessarily indicate the absence of injury. Pain isn’t always a reliable indicator, as only 5-10% of nerves transmit pain signals. It’s akin to someone having severe arterial blockage without experiencing symptoms until a heart attack occurs. If the damage doesn’t affect pain-signaling nerves, you may not feel pain. Even a low-speed rear-end collision at 8 mph can propel the head up to 18 inches with over 7 G’s of force in less than a second. To put it in perspective, the Space Shuttle Discovery was designed to withstand a maximum of 3 G’s.

I consulted a doctor, received anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxers, so I’m fine.

Hospital assessments focus on ruling out life-threatening injuries, conducting a basic exam, and possibly taking x-rays to check for fractures or internal bleeding. However, they often overlook spine or neck misalignments and muscle damage, which can lead to long-term issues. While medication may provide temporary relief, underlying problems like inflammation, muscle spasms, and pain persist. Recent studies at Sweden’s Chalmers University of Technology demonstrated that rapid spinal pressure changes during rear-end collisions could damage nerves due to the fast alteration in spinal fluid pressure.

It was a “minor” fender-bender with little vehicle damage, so I must be fine.

Car manufacturers design vehicles to withstand specific levels of force during accidents. However, your body is more delicate than a car. Even seemingly minor fender benders can exert substantial force on your spine and neck, potentially causing severe damage.

It’s essential not to dismiss potential whiplash injuries based on immediate feelings or vehicle damage assessments. Consulting a chiropractor in Columbus, OH, for a thorough evaluation and appropriate care can prevent long-term repercussions.

FAQS

Can a Columbus chiropractor effectively assist with whiplash?
Certainly! Chiropractors are highly effective in treating whiplash, making them an ideal choice for those seeking a non-invasive, drug-free solution to pain relief. Chiropractic care emphasizes identifying and addressing the root cause of pain rather than merely alleviating symptoms.
At what point should I consult a Columbus chiropractor for my whiplash?
The earlier you seek treatment for your pain, the greater the likelihood of preventing it from becoming a chronic, long-term issue. Early intervention is key to achieving the best outcomes.